Friday, February 3, 2012

Mona's Lebanese Iced Tea

Lebanese iced tea how exotic!  But it's just a standard menu item at Mona's Cafe & Deli in New Orleans and I've never seen it served ANYWHERE else.

For years I thought for sure I could never make it myself, it's only at Mona's so it must be a secret. I scoured the internet. Nothing. Growing tired of only having this drink once or twice a year in New Orleans so I set out to create my own.

It turns out that rosewater is pretty easy to find once you're looking for it. I popped into the grocery store and discovered it on the bottom shelf of the exotic foods asile. It comes in an extremely large bottle considering the amount you need for each drink and it costs about $1.50.  As soon as you crack the seal of the bottle the smell of roses is intoxicating.  The key to  rosewater it to use it sparingly!!!! When I say sparingly, I'm talking a few DROPS, not even a teaspoon. It is so potent that it will quickly overpower your drink and anything it comes in contact with. Your tea will smell like your grandmother's jewelry box if you use too much, but when used properly it's amazing.

Mona's Lebanese Iced Tea
1 pint iced tea
1/2 fresh lemon
1/2 oz simple syrup
1/2 bar spoon rosewater
1 tablespoon of pine nuts

Stir and serve over ice.

Nawlins peeps, try this one and let me know what you think! If you like the rosewater try this cocktail, The Cucumber Rose!

Enjoy Ya'll!

1 comment: