Monday, August 6, 2012

MiddleBar's Award Winning Roast Beef Poboy


Shut your mouth, this is THE BEST Roast Beef Po-boy you will ever eat in your life!!!

I've been experimenting with slow cooked roast beef for what seems like decades (well actually just a decade) since I moved to California. I slowly found a place with the best bread (now it's not Leidenheimer's) which makes all the difference in the world, and then even more slowly finding a recipe that fulfills my extremely high standards for roast beef. I've finally settled it and I'm willing to share the greatness with my faithful readers. Well I'm not that willing because this is definitely an award winning type of recipe, but I'll give it to ya anyway ;)

When the blog first made it's debut last year I wrote one of my first blogs about an amazing shrimp & oyster po-boy and if you would like to read the history of the po-boy and more about the bread, click here. This year I'm sticking strictly to the beef. 

This recipe would actually fall under a style of po-boy made famous by another popular po-boy place in NOLA, Mother's Restaurant. They call it a "Debris" which in the scraps of roast beef that land in the gravy while cutting the roast beef for a regular sandwich. My version is a cross between a debris and a pulled beef sandwich. The flavor of the beef slow roasted in a crock pot for 7 hours is almost sweet and the meat just falls apart when you cut it creating so much debris you just got to call the whole thing a debris po-boy! 

Ok, Ok, I'm going to stop talking about it and just give you the recipe already because it's going to be hard enough to wait the 7 hours until you can actually eat it. 

Debris Roast Beef
1 3lb chuck roast
1 head of garlic (10 cloves)
Salt, pepper, chili powder rub (1/2 tbl of each)
1 tbs butter
3 onions sliced
1/2 cups red wine
1 14oz bottle of BBQ sauce
1tbl liquid smoke (this is estimated btw) 
32oz beef stock
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs worschestchere
3 dash Tabasco

Begin by stuffing 10 whole cloves of garlic in all different areas of the beef then generously rub the spices into the meat. On very high heat, sear all sides 2-3 mins per side. Remove from pan and place into your slow cooker. Add 1 tbs butter to meat drippings and saute 3 onions. Deglaze the pan with the 1/2 cup of red wine and add contents of the pan into the crock pot. Heat on high for 7 hours, pull the meat apart, make your sandwich, and make sure you include plenty of au jous for dipping.

Trust me. It's incredible. Really.
Enjoy Ya'll!  


No comments:

Post a Comment